Everything You Need to Know About Making Thanksgiving Turkey
Thanksgiving is just a week and a half away! Now’s the perfect time to get your turkey prepared – no matter how small your gathering.
NC State Extension’s Homegrown series has a ton of videos to show you how to do everything from buying to brining to safely preparing and storing your turkey. They also include a handy safety tip sheet to download.
As a bonus, they also have a video showing how to safely store your leftovers.
Browse the entire Homegrown How to Safely Prepare a Turkey article and be a Thanksgiving hero!
Quick Safety Tips for Turkey
A tasty turkey should also be a safe turkey. Remember:
- to thaw in the fridge (use the following times from the USDA),
- 4 to 12 pounds — 1 to 3 days
- 12 to 16 pounds — 3 to 4 days
- 16 to 20 pounds — 4 to 5 days
- 20 to 24 pounds —5 to 6 days
- that you shouldn’t wash your turkey,
- to wash your hands and surfaces, and
- to use a digital thermometer to check the cooking turkey’s temperature (minimum 165°).
Everything Turkey from Homegrown
If you’d like more advice, check out all the Homegrown articles on turkey prep.